Thursday, April 15, 2010

Human Trafficking

Last night, we watched a video about Human Trafficking. It was heartbreaking to see the faces of innocent women and children who are exploited for someone's "satisfaction". It's horrible to imagine children being being robbed of not only their childhood but their innocence, purity, and spirit!

Just some facts from the different countries from around the world (some of these may be different depending on what source you get your info from.):
Ethiopia, sex with a child $0.50,
In Chiang Mai, Thailand, the rate is around $5-60,
Amsterdam $45.

Thailand is a big prostitution country. In both, prostitution within the country, as well as their own women/children being taken to other countries. It's amazing to me because I have been in Chiang Mai on more than one occasion. I never suspected or thought about this happening in this place I enjoyed visiting.

"On this trip, I've had sex with a 14 year-old girl in Mexico and a 15 year-old in Colombia. I'm helping them financially. If they don't have sex with me, they may not have enough food. If someone has a problem with me doing this, let UNICEF feed them."

-Retired U.S. Schoolteacher


Amsterdam, even though prostitution is legal there I'm sure without a shadow of a doubt that there are women and children who are being forced to live that life style. There's a certain red light district that I read about where the girls stand in windows on display just like mannequins! When a man finds a girl he likes he knocks and they discuss the price and other details. I know that some of these woman have freely chosen this lifestyle but others have no choice. (I use the word freely, but really, who can chose to live like this and not at least be enslaved by Satan?)

America, I just realized recently that there is human trafficking in America! I mean, I guess I realized that people were raped and kidnapped but never realized it is a growing industry. I just read a story of a girl on the internet (whether it was true or not isn't important since this really does happen.) To make a long story short she told how a man won her trust, convinced her she loved him, took her to another city, and forced her into working for him as a prostitute. She was suppose to make $5oo a night but the first night only came back with $50. The Pimp beat her as an example to the other girls. She met her quota the next time but was abused further. These girls are required to make $500-$2,000 a night. No longer is this just a problem of "other" countries but it's my country's problem. It's happening here.

Here is the Sex and Money website, if you'd like to watch some of their webcasts. http://photogenx.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=section&layout=blog&id=8&Itemid=93 I hope you will not only watch but that it would motivate you to pray and to take action however you feel the Lord lead. This is a group, Sex and Money is made up of former PhotogenX DTS/Track people.

The Sex and Money Team hoping to complete their video by the end of this year to expose human trafficking in America. If you are interested in helping their cause, you can vote of them so they win a grant from Pepsi. www.refresheverything.com/gosetfree

Get ready to grab some Kleenex and get down on your knees for these people who's situation must break the heart of Almighty God! And the question lies, now that we know, what does God want us to do?

5 comments:

abigail mortenson said...

I just came across your site and I wanted to say thanks for writing and caring about this! I have been learning a lot about human trafficking lately and I'm doing some research on what it looks like in the U.S. A great source of information is the National Report on Domestic Minor Sex Trafficking (produced by Shared Hope International). Check out their website. And also, I truly believe God calls us to DO SOMETHING! Isaiah 58 says a lot about it... Also, a great (short) book is called Just Courage by Gary Haugen. He's the founder of International Justice Misson.
Sorry for all this, but I'm really passionate about this and desire other Christians to be as well!

Dani said...

And, she posts.
(A very good post, at that.)

In other news,
Bet I'm tan-der than you. And I got another country on my passport so nananananaaanaaa.

Kitti Klicks said...

Dani you're a complete chump! I bet you probably are tanner but not for long girly. Remember I'm here in HI for 3 months. I'm going to try and give you a call this week to hear all about your trip! Maybe this Sunday if it doesn't work out this week.

By the way, big D about the country stamp since I'm getting at least another one in a few months. :) haha mexico hardly counts anyway.

Dani said...

What-EVER. Mexico SO counts. Don't be biased.
And YES call me!!!! I want to talk so bad.

Unknown said...

Hi honey. Dad and Andrew are playing wii. Andrew is playing upside down lying on the floor:-)
So, I am checking your blog since I haven't been on it in a long time. Good to see Dani's smiling comments. Love you