Saturday, December 13, 2008

Bon Appetit!

Okay, I couldn't wait any longer to blog about this! Today as we were working, (because we tend to work on Saturdays here at the Baskerville household) mom was glancing through my Grandma's old cookbook when she came across a very interesting recipe. I got the biggest kit out of it and decided almost immediately I had to post about it. And Bekah has recently posted about a recipe that she likes and I know she has posted others in the past so I thought it was my turn:)


Can you guess? Okay so you probably did because of the pics. How to cook a raccoon! Gross!





I think this little guy agrees with me hence the tongue sticking out.


Please!!!!!!!!! Have mercy! I promise not to steal the dog and cat food anymore.

(a caption for the below photo)


Mr. Raccoon was tried and found guilty and faced his fate:


How to Cook a raccoon: (this is seriously what the cookbook says.)

Dress the raccoon and remove all the surface fat. Cover with cold water and add 1/2 to 2 tsp. salt, according to amount of meat and 1/2 to 1 pound of butter ( a substitute is not as good). Soak meat 1/2 hour or longer: drain off water. Cut off thighs, legs; and body into three parts. Place in large kettle. Cover with cold water containing the salt. Bring to boil state. Reduce heat, so meat simmers until tender; keep covered. Drain off the broth. When meat is done cool. Cut into serving pieces. Coat each serving with butter. Place in baking dish in oven at 325 degrees for 30 minutes to one hour. Turn during baking. Keep covered with foil to prevent dryness.

This is my favorite part, (We preferred the cooking time in water to be done in a shed on the farm on a camp stove, because of the wild oder and then brought into the house for baking time.)



I guess you are suppose to then enjoy!!!!!!!!! Wow! My mouth is just watering for raccoon now, isn't yours? I don't know about you but I found that recipe highly amusing! (Sorry to all cute cuddly animal lovers :( Just remember raccoons aren't usually cute and cuddly but really can be nasty.






8 comments:

-C A I T L Y N said...

Chrissy, THAT IS GROSS AND DISTURBING! :)

Bekah May said...

Wow...that's disgusting.Wonder if it tastes like chicken? But it makes sense that they would have that recipe in an old cookbook. I've heard of possum pot pie, too, though I've never tried it. :-) Chrissy, you got me all excited...I was thinking that you were going to post a yummy recipe! Raccoon is not really my thing. But that is funny!

Kitti Klicks said...

You know there is something wrong with getting comments on my Gross and Disturding post as someone put it :) and not on my serious ones. Oh well, I love the comments and you have to admit these crazy, random, and even disturbing post have to be the most interesting.

Kitti Klicks said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bekah May said...

Welcome to the life of a blogger, Chrissy! People never post as much as you want them to, but I can sometimes understand why. I mean, how many times can people say "Wow", "Cool", or "That's really neat!"? We don't want to post the same things over and over, even if we're thinking it. :-) Just keep writing...we're listening.

Dani said...

I refuse to leave a comment on this post, just to show that I'm not one of those people who only leave comments on funny posts.

Chelsea said...

that is too funny! loved the pics... :)

Grace Mally said...

Wow, I don't know what to say.