Monday, May 17, 2010

"The Irresistible Revolution (living as an ordinary radical)" -Shane Claiborne

book.jpg


Okay, well, this was the title of the most recent book we were suppose to read for DTS. I was really excited to start it from looking at the cover but as we all have been taught, "Don't judge a book by it's cover". It was a lot different than I expected. I was somewhat disappointed but I can't say that it was a waste of time either. I'm glad I read it and got to see through someone else's glasses for a little while. I don't think that I've ever really read a book where I didn't agree with it and the ideas so much as with this one. Not that I disagreed with everything or maybe even the majority? but to not agree 100% or 90% was different/refreshing!

The book is written by a man who has had the guts and the radicalness to go against the norm and live on the edge. He has a real heart for the poor and those who are hurting and for that I think the church definitely has something to learn from him.

Once I got into the book I really was liking it. He talked about how in college him and some friend would go hang out with homeless people. He told about how he was able to contact Mother Teresa and go and work with her in India. What they did there was really cool. One of my favorite ministries that they did was to take soap and first aid stuff and set up a cleaning/medical place for street kids to come to. There they would just take the time to wash kids, play with them, love them, and clean their cuts. He said that sometimes the kids would scrap themselves on purpose so that they could be taken care of. Wow, I believe that this is what Jesus was talking about when He said when you do something for the least of these you do it for me.

Then I got to the middle of the book and it wasn't so good anymore. First, I started disagreeing with things that he had to say about our armed forces and then it became bored with his stories and repetition.

There is a story in the book that I strongly disagreed with. It was the way he went about getting his message out about being concerned for the poor. One time when Bush speaking at a Republican National Convention he went dressed in a suit complete with an elephant pin but underneath he had a homemade shirt on. He had written some bible verses on the front and back of the shirt."Woe to you who are rich.... but blessed are the poor." (Luke 6) "Woe to those who deprive the poor of their rights." (Isaiah 10) After Bush got there and everyone stopped applauding he proceeded to rise, tear off his outer layer to reveal his shirt, and began quoting scripture at the top of his lungs! This makes me mad to know that he did this. Not just because it's disrespectful but because I don't believe this gives Jesus or Christianity a good name. What did this accomplish? Well, it gave secret service something to do and him a good story. Whether anyone actually thought more about the poor from what he did or if they were just turned off from this rude demonstration only God knows. I feel like this was definitely a lack of good judgement and showed no respect for the authority he is commanded to respect (in the bible).

Towards the end I started being more interested again. He has a different take on the story of the mustard seed Jesus told that I had never heard before. He explains it more in the context of how a Jew at that time would have viewed it. It's very interesting and makes sense.

Okay so the ending conclusion is: I agree with some of what he says and I think his heart is in the right place. He has lots of good ideas and has a heart for the poor and points out flaws in the church and american mindset. I think that at times his execution is poor and lacking but I applaud him for believing something and going after it with every fiber of his body! If you are looking for a book to make you think, then this is a good one for you. Just remember when you get to the middle don't stop but push through and finish it; you'll be glad you did.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Very interesting Chrissy........what was the lesson from the mustard seed parable?