Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Heaven, Earth, Desires.

Whom have I in heaven but you? And there is nothing on earth that I desire besides you. My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.
-Ps. 73:25-26

I read these verses not too long ago and thought about the first part. Whom have I in heaven but you? Okay, that's true I have no one in heavens but God but what about the next part. And there is nothing on earth that I desire besides you? Wow, I know that that isn't true in my life. There are many things that I desire at times over God or his way. Do I want that to be true of my life that I'm content with God alone? Yes, I do, not 100%, but my spirit does desires this.

Last Sunday during the sermon, Pastor Brooks Simpson was preaching about the rich ruler who came to Jesus and wanted to know how to inherit eternal life. (if you want to listen to his sermons you can go to http://gracecommunitynet.org ) He used this story to address the issue of idols in our lives. God is the only one who can save us from ourselves and our idols. If we decide to get rid of one idol, say food, we will so easily find another idol to replace it with. That's why we need Jesus. He replaces our idols with himself.

Okay, so that's all for now. Look for pics of our thanksgiving and weekend on Sunday or the early part of next week. Happy Thanksgiving everyone!




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your post (particularly the title) resurfaced a questions that's been spinning around in my mind for a while. Namely, why does longing have to hurt? Why the ache that always seems to accompany my longing? Is that the way God intended it to be?

Grace Mally said...

Every time I come to your blog it changes. I like the new banner!

I enjoyed your thoughts on this post. It's a good point about how people can get rid of one "idol" and then just cling to another... and only clinging to Jesus can fix the problem. Thanks for the good thoughts.